Life with three kids and kids of "activity and homework age" has definitely caused us to have almost no free time. Add new house to that equation and there goes any spare minutes of life. Luckily, almost every busy minute we have is one of joy and blessings. This really is the dream to me. I am constantly reflecting on how my life was as a child and it was also extremely blessed and happy. I learned how to be a loving parent, how to be responsible and how work hard for what I want.
There are a couple things I did not have when I was younger though. Don't worry, this is not turning into an analysis of problems-due-to-my-troubled-past blog. It's light-hearted, but truly meaningful to me and something I constantly think about it.
I have two brothers who are five and seven years older than me. Sure they are fine brothers. Michael taught me how to ride a bike and shoot a basketball and Steven....um....Steven taught me how to have a tough skin (you can read into that one if you want). However, imagine my life as a young teen or high schooler.....no siblings were around. This was a bonus for me in some ways of course, but in other ways, it was kind of lonely. My Mom says I always had a friend over and they even furnished my beach house bedroom with two twin beds for whatever friend I brought down on weekends and summers. Still, good friends aren't sisters. Or close brothers. I wanted a sister soooooo bad. I used to beg for one. I used to pray for one. I even used to fantasize about being an orphan so I could live in an orphanage like Annie and sing with all my fellow orphans.
Fast-forward to life now---a mother of three daughters who are close in age. My daughters do not have just one, but two sisters! What else? (So far) They get along SO well. They are all so different, but they already respect each other's different interests. Brielle has never asked to take gymnastics, but always wants to watch her sister. Camryn has never asked to take ballet, piano, or singing, but she is her sister's biggest fan. As Kendall still develops her personality, I can at least note her uncharacteristically blonde hair and blue eyes for now. (Huh?) But what I have here are three daughters who love each other so much. Three sisters that love each other so much. They play for hours and hours. They share clothes and toys. They support each other. They sing and dance around the house together DAILY. They brush their teeth together and hug and kiss each other every night. What else can I say other than this is a dream come true? I am pretty sure being a mother to three daughters like mine is even better than getting my sister way back when. My cup runs over, continuously. (Stay tuned for the teenage years blog, I know, I might be doomed ;).
One other small victory is Brielle's singing/performing ability....or should I just say confidence? I was brought up in a musical family. I have always love singing and dancing more than just about anything. It was never my forte though. I can play an instrument on stage, but would not dare sing solo or even try. I could not even get up enough courage to try out for any of the plays in high school. I wanted to though. So, so, so badly. I dreamed of myself on a stage performing and just spent my time obsessing over various singers/actors growing up. Much like most young girls, I suppose. I do recall a time when I prayed a very specific prayer asking for a miraculous gift of talent and courage. I might have been 15 or 16 at the time. I was serious. Well, here, I have a daughter who has already sung a solo on a stage in front of her whole school! When she said she wanted to do it, I almost didn't even believe her because the thought of doing such a thing to me is just not a possibility. My nerves would not be able to handle it. Not when I was six and certainly not now. (It's different when I sing parody songs to my students.....when my goal is to make them laugh, I don't have to worry about humiliation).
Another dream come true.....to watch my own daughter is more exciting, satisfying and fulfilling than any dream I ever had of myself becoming a performer. I am not saying we have a young superstar on our hands, but she has already tackled dreams I had growing up and she is only six. To say that I am proud is an understatement.
As I continue to work through the fact that there is only a 1% chance of me ever experiencing the birth of another baby (blame: Greg), I can say that even my "older" children are bringing me much jubilation.
It really is funny how life works. Or how God works....I am truly blessed beyond comprehension.
you are so sweet. and such a great mom. i love reading your blog. your girls are very lucky to have you. and to have each other. and they are SO cute. you are right - you are definitely blessed... but i am confident you deserve it :)
ReplyDeleteLove reading your posts. You are an amazing momma and your perspective on life inspires me. Can't wait for your visit!
ReplyDelete