Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Our Very Special Brielle

I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about the things Brielle says to me. She is such a smart and profound four-year old girl. She really thinks and processes more than your average four-year-old----at least I think so. Ever since she was a tiny baby, she would sit all day for books. She would literally sit on my lap for hours and listen to me read her books. She never wriggled off my lap and to this day, a book is such a treat to her. This is an English Teacher Mother Dream!! Now, we love our sweet Camryn, but it wasn't until recently that she would sit for a book and she is very selective about what book we read!

Additionally, Brielle is at that age where she asks a lot of questions and follows up with a lot of "why's." What amazes me most about her, though, is how much she appreciates life and all of her blessings. Of course I have tried helping her understand these concepts, but they really seem to resonate with her. For instance, several months ago, she said, "Mommy, I am really glad God gave us Camryn." This honestly came out of no where and brought me to tears. We really aren't very good with the whole church-going thing, but I try to explain God to her in terms she can understand. God made the trees and the flowers, etc etc.....Not entirely sure how she translated that to Camryn, but I'm glad she did! A few weeks ago we were taking a walk through the neighborhood on the walking trail and Brielle said to Greg, "This sure is a wonderful world, isn't it Daddy?" She was just walking and appreciating nature. Are these really things four-year-olds say?? Then yesterday, she said to me while swinging on her swing, "I'm so happy to be in this world, Mommy." Chokes me up!! None of these statements are prompted at all...they literally come out of no where.

One thing I have taught her is that not all children get to experience all the nice things that she does. I explained that not all children get to go to the beach and the pool all the time, not all children have as many snacks and delicious food as her and not all children have as many toys as her. I forget why this came up one time, but my goodness, she has not forgotten it. She told me the other night that she wants to pack up the toys she doesn't play with so she can give them to kids who don't have any toys. And now when we go places, she will say, "I am a really lucky girl, aren't I?" She feels joy, then reflects on it. I feel this is just a really special quality about her. I fear she may turn into a worry wart, so I certainly try not to make her think too much, but I am proud of her ability to be thankful. When I was in high school, I came across a scripture that became my favorite instantly and it is something I try to remember daily. I think it sums up how I aspire to be and how I wish my children to be.


Be joyful always;

Pray continually;

Give thanks in all circumstances for this

is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

1 Thess. 5:16-18

(I didn't look this up and think I got it correct, but if not, you get the idea.).

2 comments:

  1. Awww...that is so sweet! Actually, I don't think most 4 year olds say those things. Brielle is a real thinker. And a happy one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome, I love that verse... awesome one to live by for sure.

    ReplyDelete