I am pleased to share that I am now playing women's basketball again. I have looked for women's leagues around here in the past and was unsuccessful. Finally, I noticed a posting for a new women's pick up league in the Downingtown Rec. Spring flyer. I signed up right away. The first night, I was so nervous. The first person that walked into the gym after me turned out to be a girl I roomed with back at Keystone Invitational Camp back in 1995. We remained friends after that summer for another year, but then once college started, we lost touch. It was so fun to catch up with her. And so very random! I didn't know anyone else there, but after a few weeks, I already feel like we are all teammates. The first week kicked my ass. I was so tired...we played full-court for two straight hours--no subs. I could barely walk the next day. You'd thing I'd be in decent shape since I just ran a 10 mile race----nope....totally different kind of running!
Anywayyyy....I honestly feel like a little part of my youth has been restored. Out of all the millions of activities I had the opportunity to engage in as an adolescent, basketball was the one constant. I loved it to the core. I practiced with intensity and passion and I never missed a practice or a game. I thought about it day and night. I think the reason I love it so much is because when I am playing, I think about nothing, but that. I have to focus on it so much that I can't stop and worry about grading papers or if my kids are getting enough vegetables. It just kind of takes me away from any other worry or stress. And it's healthy!! I was about to say that a few nice glasses of wine suffice at times too, but at least with basketball, I am burning calories and competing.
I just feel different now that I am playing again. Maybe "playing" is the key word here? The motto of United Sports Training Center where Greg works is "Never Stop Playing." I totally get that now!
I am fully aware that my 'playing' may be severely limited once my kids are old enough to start activites of their own. Brielle starts ballet in the fall and I can only imagine what the future holds beyond that!
Oh and, I have also learned that playing basketball is like riding a bike because well....I STILL GOT IT! Ha!
You are awesome! Sounds like you are having a great time!! Is it October yet? Can't wait to see you!! XXOO
ReplyDelete