
We have been
forced into the crib-to-toddler-bed transition way sooner than I would have liked. Camryn started agressively climbing out of her crib over the past month and while I hoped it was a phase, it persisted and we finally decided it was time for the transition. She is nearly two years old, but we were planning to keep her in the crib until age three. As much as she enjoyed climbing out, she didn't want us to take it away either. Whenever we tried to get her excited about a "big girl bed," she would say, "no, baby," which means "I am not a big girl, I'm a baby and I want my crib." So today's nap was her first time in her new bed (well, it's actually our neighbor's old toddler bed, but it's new to her). We had to change the door knob around so we could lock her in the room, otherwise, she would just come right out. After about 45 minutes of waiting for her to fall asleep, she finally started banging on the door screaming, "MOMMMEEEEEEEEE." I asked Greg if he thought maybe I should go sit with her and he said he absolutely thought it would be a bad idea. (And normally I totally agree because Camryn thinks it's party time whenever there are people around her). Then he went outside to fertalize the lawn and I decided to go in there and ask her if she wanted me to stay with her. She said "uh-huh." (The only way she says 'yes'). So I laid on the floor next to her tiny bed and told her to go to sleep. She lifted her head about three times to make sure I was still there, then she passed out. This was a big deal for a couple reasons. One, it's pretty much against my parenting policy to stay in the room with my kids when they go to sleep. I never rocked them to sleep (after three months of age) and never laid with them until they fell asleep. I need my kids to be self-sufficient when it comes to sleeping because I work from home and do not have time to sit with them until they fall asleep. The number two reason this was a big deal was because I SO ENJOYED watching my baby fall asleep. Once she was asleep, I had a hard time leaving the room. I just wanted to sit there and watch her sleep. I honestly think I could watch her all day. Cam is a tough kid. She's still such a baby, but she's a big, BIG girl and she has always made it her mission to keep up with her big sister. Watching her sleep is just a peaceful reminder that even though she is the wildest, craziest baby I know, she is really still such a baby. A sweet little baby. As much as I enjoyed it, I certainly can't afford for it to become her sleep-routine, but hey, it's okay once in awhile!! My baby girl was uneasy about her new bed and she needed some comfort from her Mommy! I just love being Mommy.
Aw...I loved being a mommmy too!
ReplyDeleteHere's the good news...Grandma Bayly told me one time...
"You never stop being a mother."
So far, I can attest to that. There are sweet times all along the way.
So sweet! We miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! Too cute!
ReplyDelete